At present the activities of the Hilfskomitee are divided into three major categories:
- Preservation and development of the internal solidarity of our organization and its adaptation to the changing situation. (succession of younger generations, new political constellations after the collapse of the Soviet Union and political reunification of West and East Germany.)
- Preservation of the Galizien-German heritage.
- Formation and consolidation of friendly relations with our former neighbors in a united Europe.
We are organizing per year: A general meeting and a cultural convention in May, as well as regional meetings, the monthly publication of the “Blickpunkt Galizien - das Heilige Band” as well as the year book “Zeitweiser”.
We have access to genealogical documents and a comprehensive collection of village maps and records.
We are supporting research projects for Galizien-German history and into present times, its documentation in the “Zeitweiser”, and other books on this subject. We do research in archives for church records, village records and other documents left behind.
We are in discussions with village- and town alderman about the preservation and maintenance of cultural assets left behind.
- Visits to the former German settlements, in particular to locations of commemoration for the more than 150 years old history of the Galizien–Germans
- Memorials plaques in churches and schools,memorials in cemeteries
- Study- or tourist trips to Poland and the Ukraine in order to become acquainted with the life of the people today
- Establishing relations with our former neighbors in Galicia, the Ukrainians, the Poles and the Jews (although only few of the latter have survived the persecution by the Nazi as well as other anti-semitic groups) with the purpose of reconciliation and reduction of preconceptions.
- Relationships with universities, schools and teachers.
- Providing school books (as far as possible).
- Arranging partnerships between German and Ukrainian schools. Every other year instructors and students of German at the universities of L`viv, Stanislau, and Tarnopol are invited to popular 10 day seminars on German topics. In turn Ukrainian schools and universities also are pleased to invite German groups in order to present to them the Ukraine of today.
- Provision of humanitarian and medical aid for hospitals, homes for abandoned children etc. In this connection the Hilfskomitee in combination with the Lions Club and the Martin-Schröder-Foundation in Bad Oeynhausen has dispatched within the last years more than 20 truckloads of aid supplies to the Western Ukraine and Ivano Frankivsk (formerly Stanislau).
- Establishing relations to roman-catholic, greek-catholic and greek-orthodox churches in the Western Ukraine.
- Maintaining relations with the protestant churches in the Ukraine and providing Bibles, hymnbooks and catechisms.
- Establishing and maintaining relationships with Germans living in the territory of the Western Ukraine (for instance the newly founded ”German societies”)
- Awakening and cultivating the awareness among the Ukrainians that until 1939/40 about 60,000 Germans lived in the Western Ukraine as their peaceful and productive neighbors.
In order to continue our humanitarian and social activities in the future we kindly ask you for your support in the form of a donation or by becoming a member of our organization. Thank you!
Your Galiziendeutsche - Geschichte und Erinnerungskultur e.V.
BLZ: 600 100 70 Kto.-Nr.: 20470702 SWIFT/BIC: PBNKDEFF IBAN: DE93 6001 0070 0020 4707 02
Additional information (in German) about our aid missions in Iwano Frankiwsk in 2010 , in 2011, in 2012, May of 2012